Restorations are currently underway on the following historic aircraft:
T-33 Shooting Star
. The two-place T-33 was the world's first jet trainer. It was developed from the the single seat F-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage approximately three feet to
accommodate a second cockpit. Lockheed undertook the design of the T-33 with $1 million of its
own money. Entering service in 1948, the T-33 was the only Air Force jet trainer until the advent
of the Cessna T-37 in 1957. The T-33 then went from being an advanced trainer to a primary
trainer. The T-33 was eventually used by the navies and air forces of more than 20 countries.
Many are still in use today. One modified T-33, designated NT-33, was used to simulate the
handling characteristics of different aircraft; this particular aircraft was in use until the early 1990's,
when it was replaced by the NF-16 Variable Stability In-flight Simulator Test Aircraft. A number of
T-33s for export were modified to carry light armament. A number of T-33s were built under
license in Canada. Untold thousands of pilots earned their wings on the T-33. The last Air National Guard T-33 was retired in 1987.
Bell UH-1D (IROQUOIS). The first UH-1A helicopter was delivered to service in June 1959 with a
production run of 175 units. By 1963 production had progressed through Model B (1010 units) and
Model C (749 units). The First D model was delivered to the Army August 9, 1963. The D model became the major troop transport carrying version with 2561 units produced before it was
succeeded by the even more prolific H Model. Production continued, with various models, through
the twin engine version Model UH-1N. In all more than 26,000 Huey's were produced. The
primary missions were the delivery of troops, equipment and supplies, as well as evacuation of the
wounded. Its ability to deliver and recover troops on tactical missions drastically changed how modern infantry conducts its patrols and combat strategies.
The Huey on display at the Wurtsmith Air Museum Museum in Oscoda is a UH-1D with the later
addition of a few features of an H model.
L-19 Bird Dog. Originally designated L-19, the Bird Dog was redesignated O-1 when the
observation category was revived in 1962. The O-1 is a two-place observation and liaison aircraft
that was widely used by the Air Force in Vietnam for forward air control duties. It was developed from the Cessna commercial Model 170 for a joint Army and Air Force competition in 1950,
although the Air Force did not buy any planes at that time. All of the Air Force's O-1s were originally transferred from the Army. Before pilots